Let go of stress, tension and pain!
The Alexander Technique offers gentle and effective help for those suffering from physical pain, stress or tension caused by poor posture and habitual movement patterns. Learning the technique improves your posture and enables you to move and do things in a way which is more relaxed and places less strain and stress on your body. The Technique enables you to take control of your own health and wellbeing rather than 'grinning and bearing it', or relying on treatment, manipulation or drugs. For almost a hundred years the Technique has helped people to reduce pain and discomfort, feel more comfortable and at home in their own skin, and improve their performance at athletic and artistic skills; its positive effects have been validated by numerous scientific studies.
Do you know the feeling of lightness and relief you get when you put down a heavy bag or rucksack you've been carrying for a while? For many people learning the Alexander Technique feels like this. As we learn to carry ourselves and move more in accord with the way we were designed we let go of unnecessary muscular tension we never knew we were carrying, leading to a lightness and ease in everything we do which we had forgotten was even possible. As patterns of tension and imbalance release and resolve we find there is less ongoing strain on our body, leading to less pain and discomfort in our activities, improved breathing and, and greater energy and vitality.
The Alexander Technique is likely to be a good fit for you if:
- You like to take responsibility for your own health and destiny. Learning the Technique gives a powerful tool to heal yourself in the present and look after yourself in the future—so it appeals to people who like to take care of themselves, and who don't assume that someone else will magically sort things our for them!
- You dislike doing boring and repetitive exercises. If the thought of having to do repetitive exercises every day is unappealing then the Alexander Technique offers a different way. Of course it is important to have some exercise, but in Alexander lessons you learn to 'use yourself' better no matter what physical activity you undertake—leaving you free to choose activities you enjoy with much reduced risk of injury.
- You enjoy learning new ideas and skills and integrating them into your life. Alexander lessons involve a willingness to think about and engage with what is being taught, and to explore the principles independently in your own life outside of the lessons, so it appeals to those who like learning and exploring.
- You are willing to explore new perspectives and question widely held beliefs. The Alexander Technique calls into question things which many of us take for granted or have never thought about that much—so having lessons means being willing to consider fresh perspectives and try new things out.
- You are open to changing and growing as a person. The Alexander Technique takes the view that our problems are not isolated symptoms, but a manifestation of what is going on for us as a whole—mind, body and feelings. So doing Alexander lessons involves change and growth. You will not be quite the same person at the end as you were at the beginning. In a good way!
The Alexander Technique can also be particularly helpful for singers and other musicians. I teach individual Alexander Technique lessons and introductory workshops in Midhurst (close to Petersfield, Haslemere and Petworth) and near Chichester, West Sussex. For more general information about the Alexander Technique the best online resource is alexandertechnique.com