Would you like to feel more comfortable and at home in your body and to live with increased energy and vitality? Do you want a more centred and grounded way of being in the world that leaves you feeling less stressed and more happy, relaxed and confident? Or would you like to perform better at an artistic or athletic skill?
The Alexander Technique can help!
Nature gave us an amazingly clever and robust design which will effortlessly support us in whatever we chose to do if it is given a chance. But bad habits of movement and co-ordination together with the pressures of modern living can put your body under unnecessary (and unnatural) tension which can result in physical discomfort, low energy, stress, pain and poor performance. The Alexander Technique offers an effective and profound set of principles for letting go of these unhelpful habits so you can live and move in accord with the way nature designed you, helping you to return to balance in the present and to look after yourself in the future.
The Alexander Technique is likely to be a good fit for you if:
- You like to take responsibility for your own health and destiny. It appeals to people who like to take care of themselves and who don't assume that someone else will magically sort things our for them!
- You dislike doing boring and repetitive exercises. If the thought of having to do repetitive exercises every day is unappealing then the Alexander Technique offers another approach. Of course it is important to take exercise, but in Alexander lessons you learn to 'use yourself' better no matter what physical activity you undertake—leaving you free to choose activities you enjoy with much reduced risk of injury.
- You enjoy learning new ideas and skills and integrating them into your life. Alexander lessons involve a willingness to think about and engage with what is being taught, and to explore the principles independently in your own life outside of the lessons, so it appeals to those who like learning and exploring new things.
- You are willing to explore new perspectives and question widely held beliefs. The Alexander Technique calls into question things which many of us take for granted or haven't thought about that much—so having lessons means being willing to consider fresh perspectives and try new things out.
- You are open to changing and growing as a person. The Alexander Technique takes the view that our problems are not isolated symptoms but a manifestation of what is going on for us as a whole system—mind, body and feelings. So doing Alexander lessons involves change and growth. You will not be quite the same person at the end as you were at the beginning. In a good way!
The principles behind the Alexander Technique are both simple and profound because it is based on consciously returning to how nature designed our bodies to work. In Alexander lessons you learn to identify and let go of unconscious habits and unnecessary muscular tension which interfere with your body's natural balance and flow. Through this you discover that the human organism can move and function effortlessly when you discover how to get out of your own way. Your body is then free to naturally realign and heal itself.
Alexander teachers use gentle guidance with their hands together with verbal discussion to help you become more in touch with how you do things and to rediscover how to feel free and well coordinated in movement and at rest. Changes can unfold from this process which can have a surprisingly deep effect on how you feel and function. For over a hundred years the Technique has helped people to live and move with greater ease and expansiveness, experience greater inner calm, and free themselves from discomfort and pain.
Your mind and body are intimately related, so letting go of physical tension can also allow unhelpful mental and emotional patterns to release. The Alexander Technique is an excellent (and gentle) way to help you let go of stress or trauma from the past and live with greater freedom and energy in the present. The greater freedom in movement, balance and sensitivity it brings can also be of great benefit to performers such as musicians, actors, artists and craftspeople. In addition, many people have found that problems caused by poor posture and body use such as joint pain, bad back and repetitive strain injury improve or disappear altogether when they learn to carry less stress and tension in their body. It can be particularly helpful in helping people in desk-bound jobs to take care of themselves as they work.
The Alexander Technique was developed over a hundred years ago by the actor F.M. Alexander while he was looking for solution to a voice problem which threatened to end his career. He soon realised that the principles of human design and functioning which he had uncovered were universally applicable, and started to train teachers in his method. Since then the Technique has helped many thousands of people towards a new found feeling of freedom and ease in their lives
I teach individual Alexander lessons and introductory workshops in Midhurst (close to Petersfield, Haslemere and Petworth) and near Chichester, West Sussex. To read more about how the Technique may be able to help you click here.